Friday, 6 April 2012

Welding Shmelding :-O


Something very satisfying about cutting out rotten steel, cleaning back to bare metal and then making suitable cardboard templates ready to cut sheet steel to a weldy refit.. It's also very reasuring to know 'what lies beneath!' and that the car will hold together once we reach speeds putting us into a geo-stationary orbit.....




So once the new pieces were cut and formed into shape, MIG stitch welded, trying to avoid heat distortion and then seam sealed, oxy primed, wax injected, undercoated and blessed with holy water... should keep the tin worms at bay for a few years...


This pic showing the rear passenger side door sill cut right back into the floor pan and inner sill supports.. Now repaired with fresh 0.9mm steel : ) Making the final body skin did not involve any fancy forming or folding machinery in a dark room, I found that bending the piece around my right thigh proved very successfull indeed!

The Backend rebuild and refit!


Beginning of April and had a good weeks vacation and hit the Jag hard... It's been a busy first few months of this year primarily working on the back end of the car and rebuilding/repairing the entire braking system. I've also made a start on 'repairing' both the underside sills that ideally should be replaced.. but at this stage no harm in practicing a bit of mig welding and fabricating suitable 0.9mm guage patches : )


The IRS assembly is very heavy and I made a trolly and fitted some very sturdy castors. This made wheeling the unit back under the car easy and with two trolly jacks and a scissor jack she went back in... New rubbers, seals, mounts, pads, pipes etc all done at this stage as it's simply not accessable once back under the car.

One thing I did do on this trip was make remote bleed points for the rear calipers (sound advice followed) as they are a real pig to bleed once in and requires gnome sized fingers to stand any chance...