Wednesday, 23 May 2012

MOT Pass! - Yaaaay!

Felling slightly smug as she passed the MOT... almost cleanly...

All was well until she decided to dump a pile of brake fluid all over the floor.. ooops.. Been here before, pedal flat to the floor with the Landrover .... Mind you the handbrake is super sharp! good job!...

Fortunately the chaps a Greatbridge Garage know me well and were having none of this, so we booked it in for a (re-test immediately over lunch) and stripped out some of the rear brake lines...

Although I had made new copper brake lines, some of the pipes(double flared) had not seated properly and a couple of ends had been crushed ever so slightly... So we remade them, re-fitted, re-bled and job done, we now have brakes.

Having replaced all the caliper rubbers, pads and pipes... it was an hr or so's work ....

So everything else was fine.. couple of advisory's but I have a snagging list to go through...
.. oh an nipped in to the post office to get my Historic Vehicle tax disc with NULL printed on it...  still had to pay £1.34p for a tax disc holder : )

Sunday, 20 May 2012

On the road..

Feels sooo good to be back in a classic, and with the recent monsoon weather we now seem to endure in the UK, getting a hardtop unlike the Cobra, makes much more scence...

I learned today that running a gearbox (crashbox) with no syncro, takes an all new approach to gear change prep, planning and timing... or you'll end up with a box full of teeth and a whole pile of neutral  : (

There is a knack to it, and patience, engine revs and gentle nurchuring will, like fishing if yer lucky, land you a gear...

I also learned whilst spending a day under the car in the inspection pit fitting the new exhaust system that having egg sandwiches and pickled onions the previous day was a very bad idea... fitting an air vent in the pit is for noxious gases.. nuff said on that one!

So, now I will admit to my biggest and most rookie mistake todate in my Engineering follies..

I RAN OUT OF FUEL.. fortunately only 100yrs from home. Several weeks back I dropped some fuel in the tank to get her going..

When I realised no fuel was flowing through the spyglass fuel filter, I chased back to the fuel pump.. Still not convinced, I dripped the tank with a bamboo cane.... came out bone dry ... opps...

The E-type has a very flat fuel tank and the fuel pickup is sits in a fuel sump visible under the back of the car... With all the testing and tuning I had been doing... enough was enough and when I took her out on the road, that 3.8 Engine and 6 thirsty pots soon turned that tank in a desert.

.. so I drained the lawn mower which gave me just enough to stick in the Jag and get her back in the barn... time for tea : )

MOT Time!


Over the past month I've been totally flat out on the car to get it ready for MOT and the classic car show I'm running at work on th 31st. I had a target to shoot for an I'm almost there...

Took the car out for a little test run today and boy it felt good. All the work rebuilding the back end was worth it. The car is tight and rides well...




Loads of body work prep and trying to get shut lines on the doors and bonnet to fit... She looks good tho.. need some sunshine now : )

Saturday, 19 May 2012

Behind the scenes (or in the barn)

So over the past month the following jobs got shot down:

Refitting an entirely new exhaust system
Refitting the interior of the car to include all the dash board..
Stripping and rebuilding various engine bit and refitting.
Tuning the engine (tripple SU's .. oh boy..)
Loads of body work and painting..
starting from scratch with the braking system ... yikes.. but she has brakes now.. kinda..


Rebuilding the Air cleaner and carbs.. The SU's worked much better when all the emulsified stale fuel was stripped away with Carb cleaner : )


The Interior has been tidied up and re-fitted.. In time I'll stick some new carpet in and maybe add an airfreshner..

Saturday, 5 May 2012

Exhausting...

The Exhaust looked great layed out on the floor, looked dead easy to put together.... yeah...
In esence it was, the hard hart was trying to marry it up to the existing manifold which had stripped threads, inserted thread coils and redrills.... So a few studs made later and coaxing miracles out of my tap'n'dye set... she got fitted...


Captain Flash, likes shiny bit.... Me being below him in the inspection pit was a great source of amusement for him : )