Sunday, 13 April 2014

Engine & Chassis get married xxx


.... so having picked the block up in the back of Truckasaurus ( I knew I'd built a long wheel base landrover for sooo many reasons )  I had a wild weekend trial fitting the engine into the chassis...


 The Engine sat in the chassis perfectly .. I dropped the bulkhead and bonnet on along with the upright water pipes to get an idea of clearance between pipes and bonnet... 


I'll have to move the radiator back and drop it some to fit properly. This will however give me clearance to remodel and slope back the front body nosecone...


With the engine in, I hung the gearbox and rear prop shaft in to finally get my rear axle position set..


It also allowed me to pick up the two rear mounts from the gear box... With the weight of the engine and gearbox in, I could bolt up all the final suspension components.. shackles, leaf springs, dampers and bounce up and down on the chassis!!!... Yup she's settling down and I can really start to see how the cars ride height will be..

Engine Build!


Well it's finally here.. after several months of problems and building, the engine block is built!... Back in November if you recall I did some welding repair work on the block prior to getting it blasted clean and getting the main components built. 





The block took a huge amount of effort to bring it back from the dead.. It's been built by Jimmy at Valley Gas Speed Shop in Andover not far from me. Having not worked on a Flathead block before and knowing it was going to be a tough job, I calling in professional help!!  All of the main running components have been replaced.. Pistons, Valves, Crank and Cam shafts etc.. All the valves have been lapped in and all new springs and guides.

The engine has also been fitted with two new water pumps which also incorporate the front engine mounts. 

Also fitted the two new cylinder heads and new plugs.. Working the head studs (and snapping them off!) was tricky, but it all worked out.. 






Looking good, looking like a real engine at last!



Thursday, 10 April 2014

Suspension tension!

.. fitting coil over onto shocks is dead easy... 

The Allard has two transverse leaf springs, one front and one back, both if you have been keeping up I had made earlier this year (Jones Springs in Birmingham). Getting the springs to fit squarely under the chassis has been a challenge to say the least! Because the springs are new, they are very stiff and as the dimensions and weight loading I had to calculate extremely accurately (wild guess in a stiff breeze) are going to be more luck than judgement. 

Front Leafer with dropped front arms to fit the shackle links
The front drop arms support a perch pin which connects the shakle link pins to the springs. On top of that, drop links run upto the drop arms connected to the Luvax Girling dampers.. still with me? ... All of the bushings have been either fabricated with inner slievings to accomodate poly bushes or for example the main swinging arms have new metalatic bushes fitted and their hing pins machined down to fit... (tricky time in Dad's workshop to use the lathe and we bent his vice handle hanging of a scafold pole pulling the bushes in!)  Fairly liquid all over the rubber bushes... always works : ))

Shackle pins in!!

The drop link arms to the dampers Ive had to weld and bend to 'fit the car' again, it's difficult to judge just where it needs to sit until totally finished.. For now, best guess is good enough to get her on the road.. tweaking with a sledge hammer will be necessary.. it's a far cray from shimming and setting camber and caster angles on a Jaguar!


So she's got four on the floor and sat up like a praying mantis! Can't wait to get the engine dropped in ... Talking of which, picking her up tomorrow!! Pics in the next update...