Friday, 19 December 2014

The Metal Benders...

So the past few month on the Allard have been all about the body and loads more fiddly bits.. The car as it is now essentially fires up and is a working rolling chassis... A couple of weeks ago I got the call I'd been waiting for ... the Allard was ready to leave my workshop (for the first time) and head over to Vintagecars  (vintagecars.com) in Lymington to have it's body built... I knew I was never going to be skilled enough to 'weld aluminium' let alone getting it to look right, so the decision and funding was made into the project to get the body done right.... glad I did!.....



All the bits of bodywork including the boat tail were bundled together and trailered away  sob ..
A few weeks later I headed over to Vintagecars to see how the chaps were getting on mocking up with cardboard and coffee....

Aluminium Alchemy ... or where the magic really happens...


Getting the Boattail to sit low and at the right level is very much a 'by eye' experience.. Once it was cut and dropped the car from the back end immediately took on a whole new look and feel... it was good... really good.... 


Seating position is crucial.. Having worked out pedal positions, steering column/wheel and gear shift and seat location already (as best I could without the body) we could now really see it all coming together.. I had also got a floor in the car for mockup having previously used my trusty milk crate on the garage floor :))



The bodywork hs been cut and curved to open up the elbow room and also include a wind deflector. This will be removable as the car has a complete windscreen which can be detached,  I wanted both options... Touring and Racing...


The nose is still very much on the drawing board... It will be raked back slightly, cut down and an Allard looking grill fabricated to cover the large radiator hole..  I think a few days with cardboard and a pen required here ..

More to following in the new year as we get the body finished! ...


No comments:

Post a Comment